Saturday, January 8, 2011

salt tasting room.

[photo1: ryan nelson, photos 2-6: me]
we went to the salt tasting room in vancouver over the holiday break with ryan, miss pam mah, my brother ian and my sister-in-law michelle. i chose a sherry flight (picture 5) of an extra dry "fino" (the lightest variety of sherry - in taste and colouration), an "amontillado" sherry (aged "fino" sherry) and an "oloroso" sherry (very dark in colour and very sweet with a caramel flavour). my favourite pairing was the "amontillado" sherry paired with a montgomery cheddar and hazelnuts. yum. it was really neat how the sherry enhanced the flavour of the cheese and hazelnuts and vice versa! very fun! we capped off the tasting with the desserts of the night - a surprisingly amazing apricot blue cheese cheesecake with hazelnut crumble (ordered by ian and sampled by all - thanks ian!) and a chocolate terrine with a pear compote (ooooh my). very very good night at salt!

No comments:

Post a Comment